4.08.2009

Locals

A few friends and I were curious to sample a slice of local life here in Johnson, so last night we headed to the place where the name says it all, The Hub.  

We even wore plaid to fit in. (Actually, this wasn't planned.) But then someone told us that our plaid made us stand out. (Maybe because mine had a poetry ruffle and I paired it with pearl studs, as one friend pointed out.) 


Anywhoo, much to our surprise, we had stumbled upon $2 beer night. The place was packed. Our main objective was to play a game of pool but this turned into quite a feat being that a gaggle of locals had dominated the table even after we put our quarters on the rim to show them we meant business. After much coercing, we got them to let us play as a team. It goes without saying that we lost. 



At one point, a man who described himself as a local sculptor came to our table with a deck of cards and asked us to play strip poker. Let me mention there were also dudes at our table. It also goes without saying that the sculptor won. We kindly turned down his request to remove the plaid from our bodies. 

The hustler


The hustled


Contemplating our losses


A few other noteworthy things we learned from being in The Hub: 

* Unlike Vermont Studio Center, where the ratio of male to female artsy fartsy pansy residents is 5:50 (no joke), here at the bar, the air was thick with testosterone.

* There's at least one man in Johnson who doesn't touch sugar anymore. He uses maple syrup to sweeten everything. Even coffee.

* Although my first guess was that many of the patrons were from the community college up the road, when I conducted a survey, I found I was wrong. Most of them had graduated from the college and were, um, I'm actually not quite sure what they did for a living. (Sorry, I had a few glasses of wine. Local career options will be the focus of my next survey.) 

* And this is what the start of dreads looks like: 


On a side note, my friend here is modeling a 100% cashmere Juicy Couture sweater that she found in the town thrift store for $2. 
I have no idea what to make of this steal but I'm more enamored with the name of the store: Teen Challenge. I feel like when I walk in (it's located in a laundromat), kids should be competing for these Juicy sweaters by running through wacky obstacle courses like they did on that 80s Nickelodeon game show "Double Dare." 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting crowd of artists, can't wait to find out what types of jobs the locals have. Can't see well enough to read the milk and maple syrup artist, but the pics are great and make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete