12.17.2009

Farm

A few months ago my parents moved out of the family home where I was raised on Oahu. They now live on the country side of the island, on a farm in Waimanalo.


This is quite a change from the police sirens and mopeds that buzzed up and down the main drag of our old neighborhood of Kalihi Valley--chaos relegated to the background, and the price of living close to "town."

If my parents' removal from city life is an indicator of age (or maturing priorities), then their everyday life on the farm is concrete evidence of the give-a-shit, laid-back attitude that comes with age. This is not to imply my parents are cripples or inactive; my dad spends most of his day putzing around on a fork lift, while my stepmom cooks rum cakes and does paperwork as she overlooks the Koolau Mountains. But here on the farm, life, and therefore conversation about life, is indeed simpler, and often straight to the point.

Day 2 of my month long visit home:
[I walk into the kitchen to get a bowl a cereal. My Dad is staring out the window by the stove.]
Me: Good morning, Dad.
Dad: [Turns around.] I've got the runs.

Yesterday, 6:30 p.m., when the day is done but it's not quite dinnertime:
[My Dad, Brother and I are sitting on the front deck watching our two dogs hump each other.]
Brother: You should get Waldo fixed, Dad.
Dad: He is fixed.
[Waldo, a plump Dachshund, mounds Bandit, a slender, graceful Boxer, again and again. After several successful attempts, he eventually jumps off.]
Me: Dad, I don't think he's fixed. He's rockin' a boner.
[My Dad picks up oblong-shaped Waldo and turns him upside down. A pink, rock hard protrusion is indeed jutting out perpendicular to his body.]
Dad: [With deep, hoarse laughter.] Holy shit. Waldo's got a hammer! Look at that! That turkey! I thought he was fixed.
[More laughter. My brother, 23, buries his head in shame. Waldo prances around in front of us.]
Dad: [Still laughing.] Waldo, you've got quite a hammer for a little shit!
[My brother grabs the dog--from the front half of his body--and carries him around the corner of the house.]
Brother: I couldn't take it.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, your family and my family would have an awesome time together, although our dads may battle for the bathroom in the morning. Love it!

    ReplyDelete