7.22.2009

Camp

Urban people believe camping is more about a state of mind than it is about "roughing it." The rules and constituents are flexible, but you usually have a car, a tent, close proximity to a running toilet, the intention of getting back to nature and the inclination to regress to your spoiled ways. 

This last weekend in the Catskills, two and half hours outside of NYC, this is how I incorporated both my earthy and urban tendencies: 

Things I Like To Do Outdoors (Plus This Weekend's Highs and Lows)... 

1. Hike

High: See above.
Runner up: Bypassing my boyfriend, Mr. Fit-and-Trim Eagle Scout, on the steepest stretch of a 2,000-foot elevation gain. 
Low: Dirtying the seat of my stretch pants as I scooted down the cliff near this waterfall. 

2. Drink 
High: Opening a beer bottle with a giant stone. 
Low: No High Life in the liquor store.

3. Sit around a fire  
High: Watching Jiffy Pop catch on fire and then disintegrate like little critters into the ashes. 
Low: Not getting to eat any of the Jiffy Pop.



Things I Like To Do "In Town" (Or Things That Make Me a Townie)... 

1. Drive to and from the foot of the hike 
High: Taking off my dirty shoes, putting my feet on the dashboard and singing to Danzig. 
Low: Having packed only one pair of socks and putting the same dirty pair back on for another hike. 
 
2. Have people serve me food and drinks 
High: For once, not being the oldest people in the bar. In fact, in the village of Pheoncia, NY, a two-block stretch of five antique stores, we may've been the youngest. 
Low: A place that serves spaghetti and meatballs and curly fries can't make a stiff drink. 

3. Peruse the antique stores
High: Too many. The complete discography of Toto, the taxidermied mink and ammo window display, oil paintings of dolls, dolls that look like oil paintings.
Low: The Wren's Nest, which sold wolf tee shirts and staffs topped with crystals and little metal bulls, always seemed to be closed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment