7.24.2009

Seated

read a few weeks ago that romance novelist Nora Roberts had just one rule when it came to writing: 

Ass in the chair. 

I completely agree. That is why not much writing gets done in my apartment. 

I cannot sit still. My right hand and the fridge door are like magnets, my bladder seems to pester me constantly, I step out for impromptu jogs and I take hour-long phone calls. The other day, I even hand-washed some winter clothes. 

However, now that I have to rewrite the 100 pages of thesis I lost in the epic hard drive catastrophe (R.I.P. thousands of Word docs, music files and photos), plus the 60 or so more pages I was planning to add, all by mid-September, I have no choice. Ass. Needs. To. Be. In. Chair. 

So today I was up bright and early (5:30 to be exact) and I ran, showered and arrived at the neighborhood coffee shop by 9. (Public spaces guarantee a better Ass In Chair success rate. I'm too self conscious to peruse the cafe's fridge and frequent their bathroom.)

By 11 a.m., so far I have: 

Eaten: 1 bran muffin (could give me an excuse to get up and use the bathroom later)
Drank: 1 pot of green tea 
Chewed: 4 pieces of gum
Emailed: 2 people
Texted: 2 people
Commented on: 3 photos and 2 walls on Facebook
Searched for: 2 story ideas and the PSU fall class schedule to see if I really can graduate next term, because if not, why am putting myself through this torture
Written: 2 pages of thesis and one blog post

Updates to come.

UPDATE: 1:47 p.m.
Eaten: 1 weird, package of tofu crab cake thingies
Drank: 1/2 a large iced coffee
Commented on: 1 FB post
Emailed: 1 story idea to editor
Texted: 3 people (apparently everyone likes distraction on Fridays)
Breaked for bathroom: 2 times (and no, it has nothing to do with the bran muffin, in case your wondering)
Written: 5 pages of thesis (lots of blanks to fill in, but hey, pages are pages) 

UPDATE: 4 p.m.
Eaten: 1 peanut butter chocolate chip cookie with sea salt (sweet + salty = bliss)
Drank: last 1/2 of large iced coffee
Written: 7 pages of thesis (I do best at deadlines; I wrote five of those jibberish-filled pages in the last hour, knowing I gotta leave for work at 5)
Effed off on: 1 laptop application - Photo booth 

What too much caffeine looks like. 

What the best tasting cookie in the world looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment